Thursday, July 12, 2012

Excuses, excuses ...



Um. Yeah. Okay. According to the proper order of things, the Bond-a-thon should notched up another entry today with ‘For Your Eyes Only’. I should also, by now, have watched and reviewed the latest LoveFilm title (‘I’m Not There’) and penned a little something on ‘Scott Pilgrim vs the World’ (picked up dirt cheap a couple of weeks ago).

However, my film watching has plummeted in the last week or so. Several reasons: I’ve been reading a friend’s manuscript (crime novel: pretty damn good so far), my sister-in-law has got engaged, work has been doing its best to excise the proverbial pound of flesh from me, and – somehow – I’ve been on a roll with the short fiction. In less than a fortnight, I’ve completed two short stories (‘The Chamber’ and ‘The Assimilation Device’), one piece of flash fiction (‘The God Particle’, inspired by the Higgs Boson coverage and with a tip of the hat to Arthur C. Clarke’s ‘The Nine Billion Names of God’; you can read it here), and made inroads to the tune of 2,000 words into something that is worryingly urging me to consider it as a novella.

So: please bear with me. I’ll be unholstering my Walther PPK and checking in with Q branch at the weekend; expect some 007 early next week. In the meantime, I’ve started a new blog with a purely pictorial aesthetic, celebrating pulp book covers (mainly sci-fi) – it’s called Seduced By Starlight (classy, no?) and you can check it out here.

2 comments:

Michael Grover said...

"Early next week" has now officially passed, even more so where you're located. If you don't want your licence to kill revoked, you'd better deliver the goods, and soon, Agent Fulwood.

Neil Fulwood said...

I've got some annual leave tomorrow. It'll be online then. Honest. Please ask Mr Scaramanga not to pay a house call!!!