Saturday, July 10, 2010

Some immediate thoughts on Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer

When I decided to watch and review two documentaries and a feature film about Aileen Wuornos over the space of a single weekend, it was having not seen ‘Monster’ since its theatrical release and the first of the Nick Broomfield documentaries for about five years. I’d never seen the second – ‘Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer’ before. I have no idea what the hell possessed me to watch them within such a short space of time and blog about them same day. I didn’t find it easy putting together my review of ‘The Selling of a Serial Killer’ earlier on.

I finished watching ‘Life and Death of a Serial Killer’ about fifteen minutes ago. It’s left me feeling – to quote a Metallica title – broken, beat and scarred. I’m going to need some time to collect my thoughts and assemble as coherent a review as possible. I might need to go and watch something else before I turn in tonight, just for some light relief. ‘Schindler’s List’ maybe.

The first thing that struck me about ‘Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer’ is that what she did and why had all but ceased to matter – not to Broomfield, not to the viewer, but to the legal system. The film shows how a person is arrested, kept on Death Row for over a decade and loses their mind as a result. Loses their mind to the degree that they’ll do or say anything just to get that execution date and just get the whole fucking thing over and done with. And how, when the state finally decides to do the deed, it’s to bolster some oily politician’s re-election campaign.

I’m going to drink some beer and collect my thoughts. Full review tomorrow.

Fuck Jeb Bush.

No comments: