Sunday, June 01, 2008

Morgan Freeman

I can't think of many actors who bring such a well-balanced sense of gravitas, dignity and wry humanity to their performances as Morgan Freeman. In honour of his 71st birthday, here are five of my favourite Morgan Freeman moments:

1) "Rehabilitated? ... To me it's just a made up word. A politician's word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did? ... There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit." - 'The Shawshank Redemption'

2) "I sure do miss my bed." "You said that last night." "No, last night I said I missed my wife, tonight I just miss my goddamn bed." - 'Unforgiven'

3) "Only took me six days. Same time it took the Lord to make the world." - 'Driving Miss Daisy'

4) "One hundred and ten. Get a job, punk." - 'Million Dollar Baby'

5) "Gentlemen, gentlemen. All these books, a world of knowledge at your fingertips - and you play poker all night." - 'Seven'

No comments: